Christchurch National School cum Mission Room in Peploe Street
Church of England matters in Hoole and Newton were put under the responsibility of Christchurch in Newtown and in 1852 the Minister, Rev R.D. Thomas decided that the first priority was to build a school for which he opened a subscription list and received a grant from the National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church in England and Wales.
The history of the school appears elsewhere on this website under Hoole Education but the building’s use for religious purposes was equally as important. The building was consecrated for worship in 1855 and details of services were advertised in the local press. Sunday schools were held there and in addition to its mission work details of meetings, sales of work, tea parties etc. are recorded. From 1864 the new Hoole Local Board of Health met there, and it was the starting point for a procession to mark the opening of the Lecture Hall and Reading Room lower down the street.
The school continued after All Saints Church opened for services in 1867 and was re-named All Saints National School. It continued to provide education until 1889 when All Saints Boys School opened behind the Bromfield Arms. The rapid growth of child population led to it being re-opened as a temporary school in 1907 until Hoole & Newton School was built in Clare Avenue in 1912.
From then until 1960 when the Church Hall was built in Vicarage Road, the Mission Room was used by All Saints Church for various activities. The Boys Brigade practised and kept its instruments there.
It is now a part of Lewis’s Ice Cream business.
- Article researched and written by Ralph Earlam, June 2019, Hoole History & Heritage Society