Hoole Footbridge

From Hoole History and Heritage Society


Hoole Footbridge - a History in Pictures[1]

Original plan for the footbridge dated 1892, the platforms then were numbered 1,2 and 3


Original plan for the footbridge, dated 1892, at which time the platforms then were numbered 1,2 and 3. The booking / ticket office which was built on the right-hand side of the entrance from Hoole Road is not shown.


The booking / ticket office which was built on the right-hand side of the entrance from Hoole Road is not shown.

The Hoole entrance bricked up after closure (mid 1960’s)

The sign points to the main entrance via Hoole Road Bridge; for pedestrians via the steps down to Lower Brook Street. The newsagent / tobacconists shop was for many years run by Hardcastle’s and then by Eaton’s.

The large house with the weather vane was, and still is, The Grange.

The weather vane of The Grange can be seen on the left. The house on the right was Brook Lodge.

The covered steps from the entrance are behind the cab of locomotive 2121
The dilapidated railway carriage on the left was once the base and workshop of the signal telegraph linesmen who maintained the signals and tracks within a 20 mile radius of the Station.A ticket inspector was stationed at the top of the steps. The walkway was an open area crossing six sets of lines. Those to the left led to the goods shed and the locomotive shed, the ones on the right led to the platform or were used for “through” trains. The length of the uncovered part can be seen; not very pleasant when an engine’s steam and smoke passed underneath. Signal box No. 3A was the replacement for the previous one and was built beyond the platform.On entering the covered area on the right, the rear of the first set of steps leading down to the platform can be seen. Behind the locomotive the “through” lines can be seen, with those on the left leading to the goods and engine sheds. The signal box (shown on the original plan) was eventually replaced by the one shown above. The water pump remained as long as steam trains ran.
A view from the top of the steps at platform 2

The sign is a reminder that the footbridge was not only an entrance to the Station, it was also an exit from it.

Additional Items Found During the Footbridge Research

Illustrates the carriage's use as a workshop. The signal telegraph linesman is Harry Earlam who retired in 1967 after 50 years service.The pictures show the allotments before the industrial units at the eastern end of Lightfoot Street were built. The Railway Club premises and the houses on Hoole Lane Bridge can be seen. The allotments had been provided for railway workers since the mid 1860’s. In the view of Lightfoot Street the newly built school can be seen.
Platform Ticket

These platform tickets could also be bought at the Hoole entrance, originally for one old penny, and could be used to go through the Station to City Road.

References

  1. Presentation 18th July 2018 by Ralph Earlam of Hoole History and Heritage Society